VT-6's lineage goes back to the formation of the Multi-Engine Training Group (METG) that was established at NAS Forrest Sherman Field on 1 July 1956. At the time of the formation of the METG, prop students in the Basic Training Command received primary training in the T-34B and intermediate training in the T-28B/C. On May 1, 1960 the METG was re-designated Training Squadron SIX (VT-6) as the third primary flight training squadron for the United States Navy located in NAS Whiting Field Milton, Florida. Originally, the TC-45 was used in the advanced instrument training pipeline for students going to helicopters or Lighter-than-Air (LTA) training. VT-6 has served uninterrupted in this capacity since its commissioning providing the initial flight training education for essentially one fifth of all Navy and Marine Corps student Naval Aviators. An additional requirement placed upon all of the existing training squadrons currently includes the instruction of U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Air Force aviators as well as international students from various allied nations.